Go Back   Club Commodore Forums > Public Forums > Technical Area > Engine & Parts

Old 19-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Urgent Help Needed - VT Stalled and wont start

Hi Guys,

I am about to head to vic for the both the xmas break and for my mums 80th birtheday but today the VT is playing up.
Went out to get fuel and it stalled at a set of lights. Key off and started again.

Got about 200 meters to the servo, fueled up, started and drove about 500 meters then stopped again.

It started and then drove about 1km or so, before stopping and now wont start at all.

Engine turns over, but wont start.

No codes or errors showing on the display and no warning lights. Mind you not sure how to check any other codes.

Any suggestions? It drove fine yesterday but today its not working.

Last edited by doka; 19-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 19-12-2010, 02:43 PM

More Info

its got 124000km on the clock.
Never run low on fuel, always (in teh 6 months since i have had it refuled at half tank)
Battery is only 6 months old and checks ok with multi-meter

When it stalls there is no splutter, rise in revs or anything etc, its just like the key has been turned off.

Shorted pins 5 and 6 on the diag connector and received 12 - which i believe is all systems pass fine.
When i turn the key on i can hear the whine of the fuel pump, so i assume that is working.
Fuel filter is flowing fuel and less than 2000km old

Could the crank angle sensor fail with no code? Thats all i can think of at fault at this stage.

Im hoping its not the fuel pump as its a full tank of fuel !!

Last edited by doka; 19-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 19-12-2010, 06:10 PM

if it's a 6 then there's a good chance it could be the crank sensor.... they don't give a code when they fail, neither will the DFI module & both will give you those symptions.

Have you checked to see if you have spark, injector pulse and fuel flow? you can also try disconnecting the air flow meter, sometimes it will cause it to fire up again........
Old 19-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Yes its a six, fuel is getting past the fuel filter, but from there i dont know.
Tried to start it now its cold (even tried the pouring cold water over the crank sensor) but turns over but wont start, sort of sounds like it wants to..which is now leading me down the path thinking its a fuel problem.

Have not been able to check spark, bit hard by yourself I have discovered.

How do you check the Injector pulse?

Im putting money on tomorrow morning it being loaded on a tow truck and heading to a mechanic...

Last edited by doka; 19-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 12:21 AM

the easiest way to check the injectors is with a noid light.... other wise you can hold the top of the injector while someone cranks it over.... failing that pull out a plug and see if it's wet.....

If you have had injector pulse the whole time there is a good chance the plugs are now yet & it won't fire at all...... check by pulling one out and see if it's yet/smells like fuel, if this is the case pull them out and let the cylinders air...

From memory there is a really easy way to check for spark on the 6's.... pull both leads off the same coil pack & crank it over. They use a waste spark system, so the spark will jump across the 2 terminals with the leads removed (only works if they are male terminal poles, this will also work for similar systems). Failing this a screwdriver wedged into a lead and tower can be seen from the drivers side if your tricky.... otherwise I have been known to grab someone walking past & got them to crank it while I check a few things LOL

Either way you go, keep us informed with what you find
Old 20-12-2010, 06:15 AM

Ok tried cranking it this morning, but no go.

Could not see any spark when disconnecting the plug leads off the same coil on the coil pack and plugs were dry after cranking it a bit but had a slight smell of fuel.

Called a tow company to get it to the mechanic..$238.00 to tow it 18km.....

Spoke to Mechanic, explained problem..he reckons crank angle sensor.

But no workshop can look at my car till new year, i dont have the tools or knowledge to try and replace sensor myself so rather not try it. Spoke to Lubemobile (of all people) and they quoted 280.00 to replace sensor and can do it today (between 12 and 2pm). So no real option but to book them in.

I just hope it is the sensor.

I have some spare coil packs that a super6 dfi module..may sawp the coil packs over..nothing else to do while i wait.

Last edited by doka; 20-12-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 20-12-2010, 07:42 AM

been looking through the service manual and it says that the the cranks sensor sends a reference pulse to the pcm, when the pcm receives this signal it then commands all injectors to open for a priming pulse, then commands the injectors to off until next reference pulse.

Would i be right in reading this as - if there is no signal from the crank sensor then the pcm will not command the injectors to pulse and hence no fuel delivery?

edit..scratch that .. read another part which says if no pulse from sensor then all injectors will pulse untill fault fixed.

Funny thing is no where in the diags for "not starting" does it even mention the crank sensor

Last edited by doka; 20-12-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:05 AM

I had a relay fail on my VT SS and it caused the same symptoms. I thought there may have been an issue with the immobiliser but the fuel pump was operating. Solved the problem by swapping the dud relay with the headlight high beam relay which was the same. Car started instantly. $10 for a new relay. The NRMA patrol man discovered it by chance as he couldn't hear the solenoid click when the ignition was turned on. But my car is a V8. Still, it is hard to tell if a relay is out as there is no visible sign like with a fuse.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Cheers - I have swapped the ignition and fuel pump relays for know good ones, checked all fuses and cleaned connectors.

I thought it may be the immobiliser, but tried both keys and the light above the mode button stops flashing when i unlock it so I think it means the imobiliser is off.

Been going through things all morning and cant see anything that may be causing the issue apart from Crank Sensor or fuel pump.

I am still suspecting Crank Sensor as fuel pump appeasr to operate and there is fuel being pushed past the fuel filter. Well when i say that, I am guessing the pump operates as when i remove the filter there seems to be fuel pressure and a fair bit of fuel comes out. Connect it back up, turn key, hear pump whirring, then turn off and disconnect filter and fuel pressure seems to be built up as more fuel comes out. If you get the idea..

I hate problems with no issue you can point a finger at lol
Old 20-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Lube mobile is here lol

Current Status - Fuel Pump is working, but no injector pulse or spark. He managed to pull a code - no reference pulse from crank .. so is in the process of replacing the crank sensor

Last edited by doka; 20-12-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Update : all fixed. He replaced the Crank sensor but still no go. traced fault to DFI module and found the wiring on the plug a bit suspect (probably the original fault).

Cleaned and fixed up the wiring and its all good. Offerred to take out the new crank sensor and put old one in and charge me for an hours labour to fix the plug but told him to leave it in seeing as it was throwing a code and probably going to fail anyway.

So car has no codes, runs well and i feel beter again lol. Total cost $250.00 so i cant complain.

So thanks for everyones advice and Blown, I have now seen what a noid light is

Last edited by doka; 20-12-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Glad to hear everything is working!! Sounded like a nice lube mobile guy u got too, that always helps!!!

God made ****-But it was FORD who put wheels on it!!!!
Old 20-12-2010, 04:37 PM

i never had much 'faith' in lube mobile, always thought they would be stupidly expensive for what they do. But this bloke was excellent and was also a holden man

Last edited by doka; 20-12-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 04:52 PM
FAVSSS

Glad to hear all is ok.Nothing worse than being without your car over the christmas period.
Old 20-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Members Rep

Great stuff.

In loving memory of my Wazza, my Doofus - deeply loved & missed - NEVER forgotten Hunny.
Look to your dreams, fantasy is reality's childhood - Karen Carpenter