commodoreSS
30-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi can you please give me some info on replacing brake light globes

Purple_Power
30-12-2009, 11:34 PM
No idea, sorry. I'd just pay the stealership to do it. Big help, aren't I? :D

Timmos
31-12-2009, 12:06 PM
There should be some sort of screw cap behind the lights in the boot..
Failing that, head to your local repco/Autobarn and ask them.

Tigerv8
20-01-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't have a VE myself, but surely there are instructions in the owner's manual for this. There have been in every other car manual I have seen.

If there isn't basic maintenance information like this in the manual, then I will not be buying any more Commodores.

Stand by, folks, I am getting grumpy with technology and the tendency for manufacturers to make you go to a dealership for small items to be fixed. If you have a busted or cracked tail light you cannot just buy the plastic lens, you have to buy the whole damned assembly for hundreds of dollars. Just to fix a $5 piece of plastic.

Of course there are many drivers who have no idea about how a car works and happily wonder why little lights come on in the dashboard while they are driving. They then learn that there is a purpose for the little lights when their car expires in a mass of seized and steaming metal. DUUUUHHHH!

What about the rest of us who actually have some idea about how things work and how to maintain a car? They just want us to buy new cars every few years.

commodoreSS
20-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tiger all is good easier than i thought.

Blown355
20-01-2010, 09:25 PM
There is now 2 different lights that come up on your dash when there is a "problem"

1 is when there is a non emissions related fault logged (ie. climate control, transmission fault)

The other one is for an emmisions related fault (ie. O2 sensor, cat converter, Mass air flow meter, ect) and if ignored can lead to an EPA fine in excess of $20,000!!! The same fine you will get if your found to have gutted your cat converter or removed an part of the emmisions controls from the engine bay....... Food for thought LOL

Tigerv8
21-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Laws, laws, laws.

They are only as good as the policing of them.

When was the last time you heard of anyone being booked for failing to use their indicators? There is also a law that you have to signal left when exiting a roundabout. People seem to have forgotten that pretty quickly. No-one does it any more and I have never heard of anyone being booked for failing to do it. Never heard of anyone being fined for disconnecting their emissions bits either. Just defected.

Laws are just not policed, so people ignore them. They are just ineffectual.

And some are just plain stupid. Like the "hoon" laws which allow the crushing of a car driven by a hoon even if it is not his/hers. How would you like to lend your car to someone who goes and does a burnout and then your car is confiscated? Maybe we should simply not lend our cars to people.

Blown355
21-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I never let people drive my car, saves on the "just incase" moments that can happen from time to time.

Now days there is a very real chance of getting the EPA fines as they now send you to the RTA test station in sydney (the only emmisions testing station in the nsw/act region) if they think your car might not make emmisions standards.

Things that might make you car fail an emmisions test include:
Gutted/collasped/broken/blocked/damaged cat converter & non factory replacements
Changing camshafts
Forced induction of any kind
MAFless intakes
Blocked/leaking injectors
faulty fuel pressure regulator
faulty O2 sensor
Blocked/removed PCV valve
Blocked/removed carbon canisistor
cold air intakes
throttle body/Carby changes
Changes to intake manifold/air track
Head work
Exhaust systems
Air filters

Quite alot in fact will cause you vehicle to fail an emmisions test, add to this the stupid anti-hoon laws & yor really need to ask yourself if it's even worth owning & driving a modified car at all.

Yet the thing that REALLY get's under my skin is the lack of pairity across other offencess, such as:

You can now be jailed for upto 9 months for doing a skid on the streets BUT you can get a good behaviour bond for dealing drugs.........

You are not entitled to a workers permit if you are charged with a number of "hoon" related offences (such as burnouts, neg driving, reckless endagerment, ect) and you can have your car crushed, but........

You can be pulled over & charged with a DUI offences. Drive to the court house in your own car, maybe lose your licence & get a fine. Apply for a workers licence & more than likely get, then drive yourself home the very same day.

Can someone please explain this to me, as it seem that maybe there was something that I missed when I decided to take a intrest in cars........ It's that part where a car enthusisit is a bigger criminal than a Drug dealer & more of a threat to other road users than a drunk behind the wheel of a 2 ton weapon????

Yes I know that there are a group of seriously retarded drivers out there, in all types of vehicles, who make our time on the road risky due to the way the pretend to maintain control over their vehicles, but seriously.........

Tigerv8
22-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Very interesting. So those of us who make our cars more efficient by having extractor systems and cold air intakes may be risking failing EPA tests?

You would think that putting more air into an engine and removing it more efficiently would reduce emissions.

Again I say that laws are only as good as the amount of policing of them. I guess in your position, Ben, you may come across or hear of people being done for various offences.

But you are right. There is a lack of consistency or values in the law. If I kill someone by speeding in my car and driving dangerously, I may get a year in gaol. If I fail to give the trustee of my superannuation fund information that is required, I can get up to 5 years in the slammer. Where's the logic in that. What a public menace I would be by not giving information to my superannuation fund! Lock me away and throw away the key! It's far more acceptable that I be out there killing people on the roads. Or dealing drugs as you suggest.

And politicians wonder why they are held in such low regard by the public.

Get tough on hoons. Lock them up. There are places they can do burnouts and have races legally if they feel that way inclined. Like you , I used to go in events on proper race circuits or closed private property to let off steam. Hoons just don't seem to think of this.

But then, if they had brains they wouldn't be hoons. Look at the carnage caused by that young P plater in Victoria this week. How would his family feel after his irresponsible actions killed 4 friends? Tragic.

Blown355
22-01-2010, 09:23 PM
True, but most of the hoons drive unroadworthy vehicles that would never be allowed on a track & when given a chance to do the right thing & enter events with some "lax" rules on vehicle safeness, don't rise to the occasion...... I've even see it down here with a "car club" (this term I use very loosly) that we have kicking around the traps. That being said, a very select couple of members have taken it to the track, but I think this is more due to no rego & no licence.

One funny thing I did come across while the nats were on, happened to me on the thursday when I was leaving EPIC........

We were traveling done Northborne av, towards Dickson, when we came across a Police inspection set up on the side of the road with the RTA in tow. An entrant car was 5 vehicles ahead of me & got pulled in, the next 4 cars were waved thru & I was pulled in, every car after me was waved past until the next summernats enterant came rolling past (But it's a "random" inspection remember LOL).

The car first car dragged in was illegaly loud & a few other things, then the driver got the attitude going & it was all over for him.

I had my licence & rego checked (and my RHS mirror almost ripped off when the copper swung his arm around to walk off, which I had a go about & he apoligised for straight away), he checked that my exhaust went the whole way to the back & the let me go (good thing my cars quite when at idle). Apart from when he hit my car, I was courteious and pleasent the whole time & know that he is just doing what his bosses have told him to.

Now for the really funny part....... of the 4 cars they waved thru between us, I can say 100% without a doubt that one of them was unroadworthy (more so than the guy in front of me) and at least another one was borderline illegal. LOL Of all the cars that come thru my workshop, I can say that at least 60% of them are not roadworthy in some way shape or form, but there is nothing I can do about it....... And yet out of all of us, my car will get pulled well before theirs will LOL Gotta love owning a modified car :)

Tigerv8
25-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I agree. But there are a lot of modified cars out there that were done in the back yard without a clue as to what they were doing and no talent for doing it anyway. At least my son had his ute's chassis modifications engineered and keeps a copy of the certificate in his glovebox.

I spoke to some police and apparently this is a major concern for causing accidents. And it is easier to pick out the modified cars and stop them than to try to stop all the cars on the road to catch the unroadworthy ones.

Want to see some unroadworthy cars? Go to Queensland. Some people there are driving piles of rust held together with paint. You can actually see through the panels into the car but they are allowed to drive like that until they are forced to have an inspection.

God knows what would happen to the occupants in an accident.